• Re-Creation, USA is an enthusiastic troupe of talented young volunteer performers. Help Hospitalized Veterans is proud to help sponsor their tours.
• The troupe provides near-daily variety stage shows at VA medical centers and veterans nursing homes nationwide.
• Founded in 1976 by Hugh Brooks, Re-Creation began touring for the USO and Veterans Affairs medical centers soon after. Today, the troupe performs more than 300 shows annually, touring VA facilities in all 50 states.
• Performances range from variety-show song and dance to classic childhood music. To hospitalized patients, this live entertainment provides tremendous therapeutic value.
• The dedication of these young people, as they lift the spirits of America’s hospitalized veterans, is truly inspiring.
A Wonderful Reminder…
In September Re-Creation began a 35+ facility tour of the northwest United States with a performance at the Minnesota Veterans Home in Luverne. It was a typical day for our cast—unloading, setting up, visiting individual rooms and wards, and then presenting the show. The performance area, a dining room, was packed with wheelchairs as well as more ambulatory folks – even standing in the back!
It’s easy to get accustomed to those typical “reports” from the group.
Then we received this note:
“Your group happened to be performing at a Veteran’s Home. My dad was in his last hours on this earth and your wonderful people came in and sang at his bedside. It moved me so much. It was as if they were God’s Angels, welcoming him home. He passed away an hour following their performance. It is a memory I’ll treasure forever and never forget.” (name withheld for privacy)
Wow. Far from a typical day or typical report.
It was a marvelous reminder of the real impact that Re-Creation has on real people at a real level. Far too often we have heard that our young ambassadors can be the only people from the outside that veteran residents and patients see in those kinds of circumstances this family member so graciously shared.
HHV’s support…your support…continues that kind of impact and presence everywhere our young people entertain. And everywhere they visit.
To learn more about Re-Creation click here.
Following is Re-Creation’s schedule of upcoming VA and state veterans home performances. If you would like to attend a VA show, please contact either the Recreation Therapy or Voluntary Services department of your local facility for details. For nursing home performances ask for the Activities Department. Dates and times may change without notice.
Month of January
|January 6, 2015||Columbia, South Carolina VA Medical Center||2:00pm|
|January 7, 2015||Walterboro, South Carolina State Veterans Home||2:00pm|
|January 8, 2015||Charleston, South Carolina VA Medical Center||10:30am|
|January 13, 2015||Bay Pines, Florida VA Medical Center||10:30am|
|January 13, 2015||Tampa, Florida VA Medical Center||7:00pm|
|January 30, 2015||Miami, Florida VA Medical Center||2:00pm|
Month of February
|February 3, 2015||Lake City, Florida VA Medical Center||2:00pm|
|February 4, 2015||Gainesville, Florida VA Medical Center||2:00pm|
|February 9, 2015||Port Charlotte, Florida State Veterans Home||2:00pm|
|February 11, 2015||Pembroke Pines, Florida State Veterans Home||2:00pm|
|February 12, 2015||West Palm Beach, Florida VA Medical Center||2:00pm|
|February 17, 2015||Orlando, Florida VA Medical Center Nursing Home Care Unit||2:00pm|
|February 20, 2015||Land O’ Lakes, Florida State Veterans Home||2:00pm|
|February 23, 2015||St. Augustine, Florida State Veterans Home||2:00pm|
|February 24, 2015||Daytona Beach, Florida State Veterans Home||2:00pm|